03 March 2011

A Very Hungry Caterpillar: Sachiko of Tea Rose Home

Today's guest is Sachiko from Tea Rose Home!
 Rusty Bucket Photography
Aren't they all so adorable?!?   Sachiko runs one of the most successful and popular link parties around every Wednesday.  I think people flock to her blog because she is so down to earth and kind, you know, someone who wish was a neighbor, because despite all she does and is busy with, you know she'd drop everything to help you out.  She has a plethora of well-explained, easy tutorials that can often be done with things you already have around the house.  So glad to have her here today!
Photos by Sachiko

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


Hi No Big Dill readers! I am Sachiko from over at Tea Rose Home. I am so thrilled to be here today and share my project for Once Upon a Thread. What a clever and fun event, don't you think?

When I got the invitation to this event, The Little Hungry Caterpillar came to my mind right away.


This book is translated in so many different languages, and Japanese is one of them. Japan is where I was born and raised. Let me tell you a little bit about "our" history... I think I was about 8 or 9 years old at the time, one day I was at the public library and found this book with an unusual looking cover. I sat on the floor and started reading. Right away I was captivated by the bright colors, style and very unique use of pages; I thought WOW, this is amazing! Then, I flipped the page to all the food the caterpillar ate on Saturday... to me, that moment was double WOW, I was drooling over them (don't worry not on the library book). Who wouldn't in their right mind as an 8 year old drool over chocolate cake and ice cream? Yes, I love to eat, and this has become one of my favorite books.

So, I choose to make felt foods off of that page. I thought it would be super fun to use them to read with my children. Ok, let me recite the part...

On Saturday he ate through one piece of Chocolate cake, one ice-cream cone,



One pickle, one slice of Swiss cheese,



One slice of salami, one lollipop,



One piece of cherry pie, one sausage,



One cupcake and one slice of watermelon...



(You all know what happens to the caterpillar right?)

That night he had a stomachache!


The next day was Sunday again. The caterpillar ate through one nice green leaf, and after that he felt much better.


When I finished making the felt food and read to my kids for the first time, their responses were great! Of course, I did use a more dramatic voice especially when the caterpillar got sick from over eating. I made the puppet caterpillar roll on the floor in agony, they were laughing so hard. They each took turns to be the caterpillar and we all had fun. In fact, I got a special order from my very special client to make more caterpillars. Rachel asked me to make pink caterpillar, Michael asked me to make a green one just like the one from the book. My oldest son didn't say anything, so I asked him what color he wanted; he smiled and politely said "No thanks mom, I am ok." Yeah... he is 10, I guess he doesn't need his personal finger puppet (pout).

I couldn't read and take pictures at the same time, so my friend came over (thanks Natalie you are a life saver!) to help me with this task. Her little girl and Rachel had a blast!


Oh, and the ending to the story... the little hungry caterpillar becomes a beautiful butterfly. The wings in the book were not particularly my style, so I made it differently...





I am raising three little hungry (mainly the boys) caterpillars. I hope, someday they will spread their wings and become beautiful butterflies.

I hope you have enjoyed my post. Big thanks to Katy for letting me hang out here today!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * *
That's one sweet butterfly.   
Thank you for all the fabulous felt food fun, Sachiko!

28 comments:

  1. I love this book and so does my daughter. I have so many editions! Colouring story book, hardcover, paper back, in English, in Catalan...
    Making the felt food is an idea that crossed my mind but never got around to it. It's great to see it done and yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun food, Sachiko! I love the pictures, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply lovely. I love that book! If you are ever in MA the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art is a wonderful place to take the kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE this book and her food looks good enough to eat! I thought about doing this book, so glad I came up with another. I'm so excited about this challenge, LOVE this idea! I am going to work on mine today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My kids would love this. I love the idea of making the items from the pictures of the books, so the kids can act it all out. Such a great way to involve them and lead to more play. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the book! love the felt food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this book, the food and caterpillar, and the fun story with your kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite books also. The butterfly wings are just too cute.
    Warmly,
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything on this post is gorgeous. Wow. What fun~thank you Sachiko and Katy for more great ideas on spreading the love of reading through play.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great project and a great post. Sunshine for my afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HOW CLEVER!!! I immediately thought "I want to make them too!!" Then realised how much work would be involved and might put the idea on the back burner for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. BEST IDEA EVER!!! I love the simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this book. My mom read it to me when I was little (Of course the German version). My cousin was at University in Amherst, MA while visiting her from Germany we went to the Eric Carle Museum there. It was such a fun time, we were the only grown ups in the craft-room enjoying the paper and glue and made some "art" for our selfes :) Thanks for reminding me of that great and fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So great! Better than Eric Carle himself! Thank you for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my sons favorite book and he likes to read it several times a day. Also, right now we are raising six of our own very hungry caterpillars to watch them turn into butterflies.

    That felt food is SO cute and I'd love to do that for my kids. I have never made felt food before, even though I've always wanted to. I would really love a tutorial, especially on some of the more complicated items, like the cherry pie and the finger puppet caterpillar.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What an awesome way to have your kids relate and be involved in the story. That is alot of work to make all that food Sachiko! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful work and very engaging story telling ... as always! Thanks, Sachiko!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cool! I am especially impressed by the cherry pie :) Well done Sachiko as always!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Soooo cute!! Love that felt food!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My 22 month old daughter loves this book. She always picks it out to read when we're at the library. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That must be the coolest felt food I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fabulous project. Love the book, love food and the wee felt food just brings it to life. Niiice!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much for the great idea! I'm going to make the food to tell the story with my Kindergarten class. Then I can leave it out at a center and they can tell the story to each other!

    ReplyDelete
  24. bravo! I too have loved this book, and read it to my kids... guess it's time to make felt food for the grandbabies! Beautiful post, and your 'butterfly' is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  25. very very great. a totally funny and awesome project!


    I linked to your tutorial on my blog - thanks for sharing!

    doro K.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great! I have to sew these for my work at the Kindergarden!
    Thanks for sharing!
    regards,
    Maren

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! This is great! I wish I could do it myself...

    ReplyDelete

Be a lamb & tell me what's on your mind.