07 December 2010

A Bit Corny

You know, I've worn my coat, and by coat I mean my lined raincoat, 3 times now this season.  We even had a freeze last night.  All the baby dills thought they were going to be popsicles by the time we made the 3 minute drive to school.  Fair enough, thin blooded posterity.
Remember my Piping Hot tutorial for little hand warmers?  
The one I posted in June?  June?  Since then I've had a reader or two write me that a much better filling for those bag warmers is corn.  Hulled corn to be exact.  It is supposed to stay warmer infinitely longer.  So I told Ryan we needed to make a visit to a feed store.  We drove all over this huge city on Saturday from one feed store [that was closed, argh] to another [that was open for 5 more minutes!  whew!] until I found some hulled corn.  We had to get out of there quickly, not only because they were closing, but the baby dills were pining after noisy birds and stinky rabbits.  To their disappointment, we left with just a 25 lb bag of corn.
 These are giant kernels that reminded me of something as I was sewing these up.
Remember this scene from Cinderella?
That is what I kept thinking about as I made these.  That, and I wondered if I would end up with giant bags of popcorn when I put these in the microwave.
My finished dimensions were 8" X 12".  I was going to leave it at that, but you know me and how I have a tendency to complicate a perfectly simple thing.  What came to mind was a bag left in the microwave too long [because I'm a terrible multi-tasker] and out comes a bag too hot for anyone to use, even me.  I have this love hate relationship with the microwave.  I have been known to leave a side dish in there, unnoticed through the whole meal and into the next day.  Am I the only one who does that?  So, the moral of my tangent: I added a handle.  It was 10" long, 4 layers thick, and triple sewn.  I tucked a good inch of it in on both ends and triple sewed the top of the bag as well for reinforcement.   
 I just left a few inches open where I poured about 5-6 cups of corn in through a paper funnel and then sewed the handle in and the opening shut.
 I whipped these up last night and tested one out.  I fell asleep before it cooled off, so my test is inconclusive.  But I warmed one up for Azure today and hers did stay warm longer than rice, but it doesn't last for hours and hours like I was hoping.
I thought it would smell like a barn, but it just smells like I'm cooking a pot of corn.
I loved watching the girls pick out which one they wanted when they came home from school today.  Azure got to choose first.  I think she likes it.
Ryan will miss me using his legs as my heater.  


I just know it.

28 comments:

  1. I love the journey you took to keep those girlies warm. What a fun story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really should make some of these, rice or corn or whatever-filled. There are about two feet of snow in my front yard, my husband works outside all day, and it gets to below -45 C sometimes in winter here (although he doesn't work on days that are colder than that.)
    I'm so bad for just hibernating and feeling sorry for my hubby instead of being a little more proactive about it. OR WE COULD MOVE TO FLORIDA. is all I'm saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea! we could use one of those when we are done feeding the chickens every morning. We certainly have enough whole corn around here to be used:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No you are not the only one who leaves things in the microwave. Happens to me all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love this project! it makes me wish i had a microwave. it is strange that until now i have never even thought they were useful appliances. i wish there were another way to warm fabric and corn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cherry pits are supposed to last 2 hours. Go read the Crunchy Chicken blog post today for all the details!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, but does it stink like old rice bags do?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those bags! They sure would come in handy here in Canada!!!
    What is the line of fabric on the one that Azure chose! It is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have chickens so next time I buy them corn (it's a treat for them, they usually eat a "scratch" and layer crumble), I'm going to make one of these. Even though I'm in California I'm always cold. Fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am thinking of not having freezing little piggies (toes) in bed when I crawl in at night...appealing! And I know my hubby would appreciate it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And couldn't your etsy site include a cute bag or two???

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh wait... i guess they'd make shipping costs rather much higher than most would be willing to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the larger bag idea. It could replace the hot water bottles. And maybe I wouldn't have to buy everyone flannel sheets! Great fabrics by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I am making one of these to every woman I know for Xmas. Don't we all have cold feet? Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great idea and a fab christmas gift for friends and family. i got one from my nan and it's filled with cherry stones - stays warm forever. maybe try those once?

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love this idea. my boys always complain about how cold their seats are. the truck has leather seats!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't tried rice or corn, but I have some bags filled with flax seeds and they last quite a while. I think it might be the oil in the flax, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I leave stuff in the microwave too... I thought I was the only one, thanks for the comfort :)
    I read that field corn is the best, that flax and a few other things may explode after much use. I had a flax pack for a while but it started leaking after the knit stretched out too far. my sewing machine has clunked out so I haven't sewn anything for a while. My husband insists there is a way to put buttons back on a shirt with out a sewing machine (I DO know how to hand sew) but I tell him there is no way, I have no idea how to to it.... He is getting his pal to fix my machine, so if he can make do without it I don't think it'll ever get fixed (going on 4 months without it waaaaaah).

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know it's risky with kids around, but I put an invisible zipper in the similar bags I have made, so you can change out the contents or wash the bag if needed. Your fabric choices are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. love your blog and all your fun tutorial and the way you photographed them .. keep them coming hehehe and happy mid-week ahead .. huggies

    ReplyDelete
  21. I already have xmas presents figured out for this year for the women in my family. 1 foot warmer & 2 pocket/ear warmers in their favorite color. I am so ahead on them this year.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wait, so it doesn't pop when you microwave it? I tried to Google for information, but I can't figure out what to expect if I microwave heat this hominy. How long do you heat it for, and do you put it in the microwave at full power? My guess is that the heat lasts about thirty minutes. I've been waiting to make these forever since you posted the first time on the little ones with the piping. I'm almost confident enough to start my project now, so please let me know =)

    Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eglantier-no, it doesn't pop. I do ours on full power and it works fine!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Supposedly you can use pinto beans too...I put my 2 bags in my bed before I get in it. :)







    ReplyDelete
  25. you can use pinto beans too. It feels good to put a couple of theses in the cold bed before you climb in....

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is great! Thank you! I planon making a few big ones for us to have to snuggle with on the couch or in bed this winter. I think I am going to make a bunch of small ones too (with rice and beans) to keep in the kitchen for a quick warm up when the girls come in from playing outside. They can even help make them so we have enough for all of their friends too. :)

    I wonder if lining them with flannel would trap the heat longer? Just a thought. I guess I can always try it out and see!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have a similar bag! I call it my vete varm (means "warm wheat" in Swedish). I like using whole kernels of wheat (I get it at our local mill). The kernels hold the heat really well and do not give off moisture (like I've experienced with rice and sometimes corn). I sleep with it every night for about half of the year! Thanks for your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Be a lamb & tell me what's on your mind.